Thursday, February 18, 2010

Paige's Favorite Albums and Why...

Okay, so I cleaned my cavernous abyss of a bedroom the other day and found about 4 CD's that I had totally forgotten I had, and consequently, totally forgotten how much I love, and I realized I've never put up a comprehensive list of my all time faves. Well, that time is now! (I'm updating... happy Michelle? ;)

Maroon 5 - Songs about Jane


I know I've mentioned my love for this album on the blog before, but this is one of the few albums that I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping to the next track, and be completely content. Fun fact: If you listen to this album from start to finish, it follows the life cycle of a doomed relationship... also it's awesome.
Download: This Love, Sunday Morning etc.

The Killers - Hot Fuss


This kind of music is not normally my cup of tea. Aside from my embarrassing ammount of Lady Gaga as of late, Electronic/Dance stuff has never been my thing, but after buying this album I instantly fell in love with it. Mr. Brightside is in the top 3 of every Best Songs Ever mix I make.
Download: Mr. Brightside, duh. Also, Midnight Show

The Fratellis - Costello Music


I bought this album on a whim after seeing the now famous iPod ad...

For the facebook peeps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKxGfLo7Cqo

Little did I know the wonders that awaited within. It's good old fashioned English Pub Rock with a modern flare and it's virtually impossible to dislike in any way shape or form. It's also been featured in some high quality cinema... like Hot Fuzz
Download: Whistle for the Choir, Baby Fratelli


Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion


Because it's freakin' awesome that's why. When I was a freshman, Mesa Commons would always have MtvU playing on all the TVs in the dining room. One day while savoring a stale bagel and staring mindlessly at the screens I saw the video for Grace Kelly with no music (because they never turned the volume loud enough for us to actually hear anything) and I was oddly compelled to go home and look up the song on iTunes. Boy am I glad I did. I would say this is the best album I've purchased since going to college.
Download: Grace Kelly, Big Girl You are Beautiful, Lollipop

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom


Do I really even have to justify this one. You'd be hard pressed to find someone my age that doesn't know about half the songs on this album... it was legendary back in the day, and guess what, it still holds up. Fun fact: I have this album on vinyl and the record is green... literally green. The only thing cooler than that is my lavender copy of Purple Rain.
Download: Spiderwebs, Just a Girl, and of course Don't Speak

Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen


Before Ben Folds was a solo artist and put out even more albums filled with righteous tune-age he was in a band... that was named after him... Essentially it's the same thing, but with 2 other guys added to the mix. The interesting thing about Ben Folds Five is that many songs people attribute to Ben Folds as a solo artist were actually originally performed by the band.
Download: Fair, Kate, Brick, Song For the Dumped

They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18


A childhood favorite that I've recently re-discovered. They have such an interesting sound and there's not much like them out there anymore. Plus, I really enjoyed their tiny 30 second cameo in Coraline...


For all the facebook peeps...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7JsvdmMyI
Download: Dinner Bell, Mammal, Evil Twin, Narrow Your Eyes, I Palindrome I

Ludo - You're Awful I Love You


Yet another gem gleaned from early campus cable and MtvU. I think the thing that truly makes the first single off this album is the music video. It looks like it's all one take and it requires a truly trained eye to spot the nearly flawless cuts...

For the facebook peeps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XH3oMNKApI
Download: Drunken Lament, Mutiny Below

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night


I know there are so many good Beatles albums to choose from, but I choose this one. It has some of my all time favorite Beatles songs all in one place. Not to say that the other albums aren't equally list worthy, but this is the one I find myself listening to most often.
Download: If I fell, And I Love Her, The rest of the album


Jellyfish - Spilt Milk


One of the best albums of the 90's that no one ever heard and sadly the band broke up right after the release of this album, so there's no knowing how much more awesome they would have gotten with time.
Download: Joining a Fan Club, Sebrina Paste and Plato, New Mistake

Queen - Greatest Hits Vol.1


It basically has all the best Queen songs on one CD including my personal guilty pleasure fave "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy" Which was also lovingly covered by Mr. Jason Mraz... and covered well if I do say so myself.
Download: Don't Stop Me Now, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Killer Queen

Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High


Say what you will, naysayers. But I love this album... I also tend to lose it in my car and then find it months later subsequently falling in love with it anew.
Download: The Take Over The Break's Over, Thnks Fr Th Mmrs, I've got all this ringing in my ears...

Happy Listening!
Rampaige

No comments:

Post a Comment